Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attack - Finding Effective Treatment


A Little Bit About My Background
I have always been anxious. Even when I was a kid I felt an uncomfortable tingling throughout my body when I should have been having fun. I used to throw up before my little league games out of pure nervousness. I was a chronic complainer and had a stomach ache almost all the time. My parents didn't know what was wrong with me. My doctor simply advised me to not worry so much. As you can probably imagine, I was a joy to be around!
Mental Illness Out Of The Closet
That was in the seventies. Since then, knowledge about mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety has become popularized and the stigma associated with these conditions has lessened. It is now common knowledge that celebrities such as Roseanne Barr, Catherine Zeta Jones, and even Paul McCartney have suffered episodes of depression. Instead of being consigned to a life of depression and anxiety, there are now many effective approaches to treatment which can be accessed by either a therapist, a book, or on the Internet.
The Reality Of Treatment
When I first sought treatment, I saw a therapist who let me talk for the entire session without offering much more than "you need to let go". That wasn't very helpful. My next attempt at treatment was with a psychiatrist who prescribed medication as well as provided therapy. The medication helped a little, but the therapy was ineffective.
My problems didn't start to get better until I was nearly 22 years old. In the early nineties I started to see a therapist who used Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT helped me a great deal but did not fully cure me. Some people can be cured entirely, while others must constantly use learned skills to fend off the life-destroying effects of anxiety and depression. That is what I do. I regularly apply the things I have learned to the situations in which I find myself. Outcomes vary greatly from person to person.
Sales Pitches And Results
I am not writing this article to suggest that getting 100% better is impossible. It's possible, but it simply may not happen with the first thing you try. Authors of programs (including CBT) will make wildly optimistic claims because they want to sell you something. Unfortunately, the truth ("This might work") is a far less effective sales pitch than the reality ("This might work"). With that in mind, I suggest that if you, or a loved one, suffers from a mental illness of any type, be discerning. Do some research. Then be prepared to do some hard work during treatment. Expect that you may have to try a few things before you find something that works.
Tip: Contact local universities to find treatment programs. You are more likely to find cutting-edge treatment approaches and enthusiastic doctors in a university setting. If the university has a treatment center, start by giving it a call. When researching self-help programs or books, be sure to find reviews and testimonials. Some people make terrific progress using only self-help methods. Many of the techniques taught in self-help programs are the same as those you would learn from a therapist (except at a fraction of the cost).
Sometimes you may not have the luxury of time. Depression can lead to suicide. Severe anxiety can lead to panic attacks, and again suicide. By all means, if you or your loved one is in a severe state, go to the hospital right away.
There are many treatments out there. There is no way to know which ones will work for you until you try it for yourself. Do your research but don't wait for absolute certainty that something will work. Get into therapy or find a reputable self-help program and get started.
If you are married and your partner needs help, learn how to can help your spouse with depression and panic attacks.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6321336

No comments:

Post a Comment